The Suitcase

Half of my adult life has been spent living out of a suitcase. Ironically, I’ve never owned a suitcase. At first I took pride in the fact that I lived on three continents off of borrowed backpacks (shout out to Libby Darnell and Tatiana Woldman!).  I could squeeze them under my twin bed in South Korea or hop onto the Metro with ease while other tourists fumbled with clunky wheels. Even when I first moved back to the US, there was no storage in my small apartment and it seemed like a luxury item compared to the laundry list of essentials I needed to start a life here.

Over three years have passed; still no suitcase. Is it defiance? I do take pride in being a light packer and squeezing two weeks worth of clothes in my Fifi Lapin duffle bag. Am I being cheap? My last trip to Whole Foods would indicate that I have the opposite problem.

As a free spirit, which we move-abroad types tend to be, the suitcase is symbolic of the death of adventure. A traveler who goes on cruises instead of stays in hostels, the person who prefers Sandals Resort to eating questionable meat with villagers and someone who has a tidy corner in a garage where the suitcase is housed for many years.


After three and a half years in Austin, I’m giving myself permission to buy a suitcase. I will store this suitcase in my gleaming garage in my charming subdivision and I will use it to carry my belongings to Brazil next summer, where I will heed little advice about drinking the tap water and insist on taking public transportation. I am giving myself permission to plant roots and be free spirited at the same time and more importantly; I will no longer be defined by a suitcase or lack thereof.

You Might Also Like

0 chic comments

Flickr Images