Edison Knew a Thing or Two About Mood Lighting

Lighting from the Stairwell

Not all lighting is created equal. There is Edison lighting (featured above) which omits a glamorous retro feel so convincingly, you'll do a double take when you walk into your home, assuming a hipster has opened an underground pop up speakeasy while you were walking your dog. Then, there are ugly mushroom lights that are sold in bulk at Home Depot in a $7.99 bin. Unfortunately, my home is sprouting with the latter. 

As a first time homeowner of a brand new townhouse in Austin, I'm faced with the task of exterminating all of the ugly mushroom lighting in my home and other "builder's basics" that give it a sterile apartment feel and replacing it with (cheapish!) upgrades. Williams-Sonoma Outlet is my new obsession during this daunting task. 

Some of my proudest homeowner achievements to date have been my experiments with electricity. With the help of my boyfriend, friend Bob and my mom, I've replaced two ceiling fans, an atrocious florescent lighting box in the kitchen, a chandelier and most recently, the lighting in the stairwell. I'm obsessed with West Elm lighting and got the chandelier featured above for $20 and the chandelier above my dining room table for $10 at the West Elm section of the Williams-Sonoma Outlet! 

Before and After of Stairwell Lighting

The nice thing about exposed Edison lighting is that it creates a glow that makes the entire house look better. I can't wait to enjoy some speakeasy moonshine tonight in the glow of my West Elm light. 

Stairwell Lighting from Below and Above

Thanks for reading and have a fabulous night!

Genevieve 

You Might Also Like

0 chic comments

Flickr Images